Thursday, March 5, 2015

Writing to God: Day 14

Psalm 78: 1-4; 52-55
"Testimony"
This is a prayer of praise for the twists and turns of my faith journey.  The prompt encourages the use of the phrase, "Bless the Lord, O my soul."

Bless the Lord, O my soul
and give thanks for the persistence of friends who push me well beyond my comfort zone.
Give thanks for family who smile and say "yes."

Bless the Lord, O my soul
and celebrate the sacredness of creation at sunset, colors glowing and light dancing between tree branches.  Voices, young and old, singing and praying together in the presence of the deer of the woods and the birds of the air.

Bless the Lord, O my soul
for books and professors who open my world to uncomfortable newness.  Who excite me with their witness and passion.

Bless the Lord, O my soul
for the gift of unexpected friendships; friends who paint the spectrum of skin color, life experience, and understandings of Jesus and love.  How amazingly diverse is God's creation.

Bless the Lord, O my soul.  God is faithful.
Give thanks for how some things work out and others don't.  Praise communities of faith who listen to the holy rumblings among them; who love without reserve; who push and challenge, support and nurture.  Communities who have shown me Christian love and spirituality, generosity and acceptance at its very, very best.

Bless the Lord, O my soul.
Through all the storms and summer nights.
Through the longest hours of doubt and despair.
Through moments of epiphany, and laughter, and bittersweet joy.
In the work of planting, the release of growing, and the art of harvesting in this wonderful, messy life.

Bless the Lord, O my soul.  And bless God's holy name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment