Saturday, March 14, 2015

Writing to God: Day 22

Matthew 1:23
Emmanuel

In quiet moments of prayer and reflection,
God is with me.

Through another diaper change or wardrobe malfunction,
God is with me.

Between rushed sips of coffee, finger-sized bites of banana, and washing of dishes,
God is with me.

When I pause to remember something left undone,
God is with me.

In my writing and reflection, thoughts and words,
God is with me.

On the line in the phone calls I make, riding beside me on the way to a visit,
God is with me.

When I cradle my child asleep in my arms,
God is with me.

In the laughter released from a stupidly funny joke,
God is with me.

In my laying down and in my rising,
God is with me.

I don't want to take one single moment for granted.  In a life of so much struggle, so much violence, too much bad news.  In a world that never stops, never turns off, never shuts down to be refilled - may I find the fullness of "God with me" in every passing day, in each bittersweet moment.

I pray this Emmanuel for me, for you, for the world.  Sometimes that is all we can do.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment